Thursday, May 10, 2012

A poem for Aunt Jean

I promised I would share one of my own poems every day this week, and don't worry, loyal fan friend, I won't let you down. Joke's on you though, it's Thursday! Only three more days to go! Exactly the number of poems I have written in my life. You can't rush genius, people.

Here is the first. I wrote it a couple of years ago for my Great Aunt Jean on her 80th birthday. 

I hope you enjoy it.

Aunt Jean 
by Kate McLaren

Walking in the sun, a warm day in July,
I saw a woman, face turned to the sky. 
I could tell she was not new on the scene,
For her face, it was lined with the places she'd been. 

A long flowing skirt, and hair of snow white,
I tried to imagine her rich, fulfilled life.
Independant, strong, healthy and kind,
Well-read and well-traveled, indeed a sharp mind.

No doubt she'd seen wonders, beginnings and ends, 
Held newborn babies, said goodbye to old friends. 
Never complaining, 'things could always be worse,'
Cared for and taught many, this teacher and nurse.

The important things in life she did not overlook,
Dinners with family, a good wine, a great book.
Volunteer, activist, aunt, sister, friend,
Many a life she had helped shape and mend.

As she walks toward me, and breaks out in a smile,
I hug her and tell her it's been quite a while. 
I suddenly notice, looking into her face, 
I've seen her eyes in some other place. 

In a moment of pride, it all becomes clear, 
These eyes I see daily when I look in the mirror.
Today, Aunt Jean, what I'm trying to say,
Is I love you, and wish you a wonderful 80th birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment