Friday, May 11, 2012

The Hockey Mom

Recently, one of my friends asked me to write a poem for her. Her son's hockey team had suffered a tragedy when one of the team moms passed away from cancer. She asked me to write a poem to be published in the program for a tournament that weekend. Here is what I came up with. 

The Hockey Mom
by Kate McLaren 

It's 6 a.m., most still in bed, 
Once again to the arena they've all been led. 

The morning's early, dark and cold,
Emotions run high as they go for the gold. 

In the stands she sits, with a steaming cup,
On the edge of her seat, she's not giving up. 

Her son grabs the puck, and skates down the rink,
Her smile grows wide, her cheeks rosy and pink. 

"Go Pierre!" she yells, "Shoot for the net!" 
The puck flies past the goalie, a tiny black jet.

They've captured the title, the fans all rejoice,
He skates to his mom with tears in his voice. 

"I'm glad you came mom, it sure means a lot,
I know this past week you weren't feeling too hot."

His mom hugs him tight, and bends to his ear,
In the crowded arena she wants him to hear. 

"There's no other thing I'd rather do today, 
I'm so proud of you, in every single way."

His team pulls him away, a mountain of cheers,
Her little player's passion eases her fears. 

She knows the future holds some not so nice days,
But with his team by his side, he'll make it ok.

Proud, strong, encouraging and fair,
She'll watch from wherever her journey takes her. 

A true hockey fan, from beginning to end,
Mom, teacher, wife, teammate and friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment