Thursday, July 22, 2010

Made in Canada

I've mentioned a few times throughout this blog that I love my job. That it has perks. Sometimes really cool perks, like cuddling with an Asian elephant, judging a rib-eating contest, and meeting extra amazing people every day. I know I talk about these perks from time to time, but to restore balance to my life, keep in mind I get paid in bon-bons and honey-dipped doughnuts. Not that I'm complaining.  

I usually LOVE going in to work, walking over to my cubby, and pulling out my assignment sheet to find out what I'm going to be doing that day. It could be anything from talking to a Member of Parliament about a local issue, taking photos of kids playing at a water park, or walking around a farm in inches of cow manure while learning the ins and outs of the dairy industry. Glamour, I tell ya. Every. Day.  

The only thing that I find not so glamorous about my job is the days I have to cover court. These days are usually long and drawn out, and the benches in the courtroom are REALLY hard. I mean, come on. Think of the reporter. I haven't done anything wrong! Why am I being tortured in this inhumane way?  

Usually, the day ends with me slightly frustrated at the state of our legal system and the human race in general. I normally trudge back to the office, defeated, and pound out a couple of stories about assault or theft under $5000. 

Tuesday, though, as I sat, listening to the string of accusations against one "gentleman," a sentence peaked my interest.  

"You are charged with dumping a poutine on (victim's) head and stealing her purse," read the court clerk.  

I stifled a giggle, and thought, this has to be a story. My second thought was "I can't wait to get back to the office and tell my editor this!" My third, sadly, was "I can't believe he wasted a poutine! Shame!"

I knew it would be a story. It was too Northern. Heck, it was too Canadian.

Apparently, more than I even imagined. The next day, the article went national. Meaning it was published in SEVERAL. NATIONAL. NEWSPAPERS! Ok, it was in the "weird" section of The Sun, but still. National!

Like I said, court reporting usually frustrates me. But today? Today I owe my national byline to my day in court.

And, of course, a poutine. In all it's cheesy, steamy, salty, heavenly glory.

Read the story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment