Saturday, July 3, 2010

How to reduce me to an emotional, sobbing, mess of a woman

Get married. 
It's that easy. 
Usually, I'm a pretty level-headed, realistic person (contrary to my most recent post. There were bears involved, ok, people?). But in the two weeks before and after a wedding, I've been known to walk around singing "All you need is love" and dot my Is with tiny little hearts.
Last weekend, I was so happy to be involved in one of the most beautiful weddings I've ever seen. 
The sunshine, the light breeze coming off the sparkling lake as my two friends promised to love each other - all made the ceremony beyond romantic. 
Although I've known Melissa and Gilles for a relatively short time, they've been like family. 
I practically moved in when I moved to North Bay, and they welcomed me with open arms. Many a Saturday morning was spent sitting on the living room floor and drinking coffee with the weekend's flyers. And laughs. There were always lots of laughs. 
I always wondered what it would be like to have an older brother. When I met Gilles, I realized he was the brother I never had.
He used to grill me about my car maintenance, making sure I got my scheduled oil changes on time. I remember once, when I was a few hundred (ok, maybe a little more) kilometers overdue, Gilles got on the phone, booked an appointment at the lube shop for me, and made dang sure I went. I think he may have followed me and watched from the parking lot. 
Just two weeks before the wedding, my sister and I both received an email from "Papa Gilles" (as he is lovingly referred to) asking if we were keeping up with our oil changes and maintenance. My response was "don't you have better things to worry about?" 
I guess that's what big brothers are for.
Getting to know Missy and Gilles has been a blast. From dress-up parties, to movie nights, road trips, and cottage weekends, I can't imagine having more fun than I do with them. 
This is why, standing by the lake last Saturday, watching them hold hands and say their vows to each other, with all of my dear memories floating around in my head, I fell apart. In the best way possible.  
To help you understand how amazingly beautiful the dress, bride, ceremony and day was, here's a tiny peek. 

Photos by Dan. (Thanks, Dan!) 
Soundtrack is "I will follow you into the dark" by Deathcab for Cutie

No comments:

Post a Comment