Sunday, February 24, 2013

Headin' out

 
Last weekend, I took an old fashioned road trip to Toronto for a visit. Every once in a while, a feel a pull coming from the Southern part of the province. It's like the Vietnamese food, stylish shops and cool restaurants are calling my name. 
 
This photo was taken just before Gilly and I headed out to do some shopping. Shopping in Toronto is not like shopping back home. It's an event I have to mentally and physically prepare for. This particular day, I had not done either. Being so excited to see my sis and Franny, I woke up at 6 a.m. and hit the road.  This move would later come back to haunt me, as I stood in the middle of a busy Queen St. store, with, unbeknownst to me, a huge stupid grin on my face. In a daze, in my own little world, as people milled all around me. 
 
"Kate!" my sister laughed from across the store. "I think it's time to go home and put you down for a nap."
 
The girls are notorious for under-estimating distance. "Oh, it's just three blocks West," they'll say. No biggie. "Ten minute walk," they'll say. 
 
A half hour later, we're still walking, and I am getting impatient. 
 
"You SAID THREE BLOCKS," I whine. "Are we THERE YET?"
 
"Yeah, yeah," they'll say. "Only up this hill, around the corner, through a tunnel, and across the road. Then we're going to change into our bathing-suits and swim the channel, followed by a short, and I mean SHORT, jaunt by bicycle. It's really not that far. GOD, don't you ever walk ANYWHERE back home?" 
 
"Why yes, yes I do," I'll answer breathlessly, trying to keep up. "I walk to my car which takes me to mall, where I walk from store to store INDOORS where it's warm and I can stroll leisurely and keep up with MYSELF." 
 
I'll admit that most of this conversation happens only in my head. I would never be such an ungrateful houseguest as to complain about the extremely short walking distances during our many shopping sprees over the years. I usually don't say anything for fear of never being invited back.
 
Plus, my sister can totally kick my ass.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment