Thursday, September 20, 2012

Genetics

I pick up the phone and say hello. Right away, I can feel the heaviness in her voice.

"I am sad," she says, and starts to cry. I start to cry too. She cries so very little that when she does, it affects me deeply.
 
Our family is going through a tough time right now. I am eight hours away from most of them, and as I talk to her, I feel so helpless. I wish I could just run across the street and hug them all.

I know we take a great deal of comfort in each other. It is rare for a day to go by without us speaking. When I need advice, when I am angry, when I am sad, I call. When I got engaged, she was the first person I wanted to call. It didn't feel complete until later that night when I talked to her. 

I know this feeling runs both ways. So, the other night, when she called, I knew it was my turn to do the comforting. We talked, we cried, we even laughed a little here and there. After 45 minutes, we were spent. There was no more news, nothing more to say.

"I'm gonna go get ready for bed," she says. 

"Ok, me too. But wait...there was something I wanted to ask you. I forget now."

A couple of silent seconds pass. 

"Oh yeah!" I burst out. "You know for New York Fashion Week? Do you have to be invited? Or can anyone go?" 

"Hmm. I don't know," she answers. I can tell she's really considering this random, stupid, out-of-left-field question. After the serious conversation we just had, I can't even believe I'm thinking about New York Fashion Week.

Not only does she humour my silly question, but she takes it one step further. She doesn't say "what made you think of THAT?" or "that is SO random." She legit thinks about the question. And I can tell she's thinking about the question.

"I think you can buy tickets to different events. Different shows. All of the fashion bloggers we read are there right now eh? They probably get invited. But I'm pretty sure anyone can buy tickets and go."

She's one of the only people who truly gets how my weird little mind works. Because hers works the same. Once, at a party, some guy was making fun of us because we 'only laugh at each other's jokes.' Which only made us laugh harder.

There's no one in the world like her.
 
I love my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment