Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A farewell to Summer

The September long weekend is often touted as the last weekend of Summer. The focus shifts to a cozy Fall wardrobe, the days get shorter, the kids try and soak up every last ray of sunshine before going back to school. 



We spent the last weekend of summer at my Dad's place at the lake, and the Northern Ontario weather didn't disappoint. By that, I mean it was uncharacteristically warm, and we, like children going back to school, soaked it all in. 

I got to spend the weekend with some of my favourite people. 


My cousin, the 17 year-old wonder boy, flew my sister and grandfather up North for the weekend. I was at work when he landed at the airport 10 minutes from my Dad's place, but when he took off Sunday morning to go home, we all went out and stood on the runway in our pajamas and sent him off. 




Watching the cousin I held as a two-week old, babysat, teased, and cuddled get into a plane and take off was surreal. The pride bubbled up inside of me and came pouring out of my eyeballs. 


It was the perfect weekend to be at the lake. And we weren't the only ones who felt that way. We visited with lots of old friends who dropped by for a dip. 





We said goodbye to a good friend, Cec, who at the age of 89 is starting a new adventure in Southern Ontario. With the hustle and bustle of a cottage weekend, I'm feeling a little sad that I didn't get any one-on-one time with Cec, but I'm sure all of the visits, Oscar nights, and Chinese food dinners over the years made up for it. I know she understands that we love her and that we'll miss her very much. 



Although the weather gave off vibes of a perfect summer weekend, there were subtle signs that Fall is creeping up, a mist slowly settling in. 

The leaves have begun to change, the school buses are again rumbling down the streets in the early morning glow. 

While I'm looking forward to the new season, I'd like to take a moment and remember the Summer of 2012. An amazing time. Definitely in the running for the best Summer ever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment