Thursday, July 19, 2012

Is it just me, or are kids these days, like, really freakin’ cute?

I was at work tonight, and a little girl walked up to my desk with her mom. 

“Excuth me, do you have any bookths about mermaidths?” she asked, looking up at me with bright blue eyes framed by reckless golden curls.  

“I think so,” I replied. “What kind of books are you looking for? Story books, chapter books…?”

“Justh anything about mermaidths,” she answered, so unbelievably sure of herself. 

I walked her and her mom over to the section, and pointed out that here, she could also find books about fairies and princesses. Her eyes lit up. 

Fifteen minutes later, I walked by again. There she was, sitting on the floor in front of the book stacks, totally engrossed in one of the books I had shown her. Around her on the floor were about 7 other books, open to various sections. I smiled.

When she was done exploring, she came back to see me, refreshed, I think, by the new possibilities lying before her. 

“Thankths for helping me,” she said, her eyes shining. “I’m going to camp nexth week, but when I get home I’m going to come back here and look at more bookths. I like it here.”  

That sound you heard tonight at about 7 p.m.? That was my ovaries exploding. 

I’ve heard about the whole “biological clock” thing, but I always chalked it up to urban legend. 

I’m not a bad person. I’ve never stolen anything. But tonight, I had the strongest urge to just pick that little girl up, cuddle her for about five hours, have her tell me stories, and cap off the evening by feasting on her little chubby cheeks.

Can’t argue with basic biology, people. If there is such thing as a biological clock, then mine? Mine is just-a tickin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment