Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Home

This weekend, we went to our second summer wedding in North Bay. It was perfect. The bride was beautiful, the weather was warm and sunny, everyone was happy.


It's really no secret that I, like hundreds of romantic, starry eyed women around the world, love weddings. Even strangers walking down the aisle with their fathers bring me to tears every time. There's a commercial on TV for a suit company that really gets the waterworks flowing. And DON'T EVEN get me started on wedding country songs.



The two weddings in North Bay this summer though, have felt different somehow. All of those warm and fuzzy wedding feelings are still there, but layered on top of them is the warm and fuzzy feeling that I am home. Besides my Dad's house at Nellie Lake, I have never felt more at home than I do in North Bay. It really pained me to leave that city with its glittery water and oh-so-close proximity to Toronto, Ottawa, and Sudbury (shopping!).

A big part of what made that place feel so homey though, were the people. In the short time that I lived there, I made some totally amazing friends. People who have taken care of me, celebrated with me, cried with me, booked my oil changes for me, helped me move, hosted my birthday parties, and brought me tea at work when I was having a bad day.

My people are what made North Bay the place I wanted to stay. I looked around the dance floor on Saturday night and I couldn't help but smile. My people were the only ones left. The bride was being lifted up on a chair, Hora style. Two girlfriends had taken over the DJ booth, including his microphone and sunglasses. One friend ran around the dance floor, using the hall decorations as a cape. And right about now, as they get married, have their babies, and build their lives, I'm really starting to miss those weirdos.





When I moved back to Timmins, I vowed that I would one day return to North Bay, to my people. It's a promise to myself that I'm not quite ready to let go of yet. 


I'm not sure when, or how, but when the time is just right, I'll be back. And this time I'm not coming alone.

Don't say I didn't warn you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment