Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Maria and Charlie

Last weekend was the first of three weddings for us this summer. I had been so looking forward to it, and it didn't disappoint. I guess the only way a wedding can really be disappointing is if the bride doesn't show. There's a story somewhere about a bride who, maybe trying to ease her wedding day jitters said jokingly "I don't" during the vows. The wedding had to be stopped immediately and postponed for 6 months. All of the guests were sent home. The sad thing is, while reading it I was thinking duuuude. I could TOTALLY see myself doing something super dumb like that while trying to get a chuckle out of my guests. 




Luckily for them and all of us, Maria and Charlie did say "I do", and it was beautiful.



When I lived in North Bay, I worked in a dental office as a receptionist for about
a year. Maria was the office manager, and kind of my mentor (don't tell her I said that.) I called her my "North Bay Mama," because she really took care of me. Actually, she really took care of all of her girls in that office. I once had a cough that wouldn't go away.

"I called the clinic," said Maria, all business. "Go down there and get checked out and don't come back."

She either really loved me or was REALLY annoyed by my constant hacking. I'm gonna go with option A (I was just at her wedding, after all.)

Maria and Charlie love to entertain. And they are so much fun. Looking at them, how they interacted, I always thought "I want to meet someone who loves being around people and having fun as much as I do." One night, I went to their place for dinner. I don't remember what we ate, but I do remember Charlie's margaritas. And a lot of laughing. I had to call my sister to come and pick me up that night. I'm pretty sure they pulled her in too for a drink. That's just the kind of people they are - always up for a laugh and some groovy times. 

 





Since it was their second marriage, it was understated and lovely. Maria's son Brady gave her away. The ceremony was sweet and full of love. The reception was a great time. In a surprising twist of fate, I snatched the bouquet out of thin air (ok, so I saw the wink Maria threw me before she tossed it.)




I got to see some of my favourite people, and the love between Charlie and Maria was palpable. It was one of those weddings where it's totally, 100% clear that these two are perfect for each other. 



Congratulations, Maria and Charlie.

No comments:

Post a Comment