Thursday, March 4, 2010

Update

Some of you (and by "some of you," I mean the 12 friends that read this) have been asking me what has been going on lately with my blog.
Have I been struck down by some weird virus that has crippled my typing fingers? Maimed by a wild moose? Buried under 6 feet of Northern Ontario snow?
Ok, maybe you aren't all as dramatic as I am, but the truth is, I've been noticeably absent these last few weeks. For that, I apologize, oh faithful 12.
What's been up these past few weeks? Allow me to make a list.
1. Got a cellphone. Me, a cellphone! Can you believe it? And not just any old cellphone, a (drumroll please) BLACKBERRY! I figured it was time to stop laughing at technology and embrace it. Also, I felt kind of amateur stopping at a gas station in the middle of an assignment to ask for directions.
I am now one of those people I used to snicker at driving doen the highway, seemingly talking to themselves, until you notice the headset connected to their cellphone.
Just as a side note, this entire post was written on my new, black, little miracle worker. It gives me directions, weather updates, and one hell of a recipe for Yorkshire pudding. I think I'm in love.


2. Moved in with a boy. Not just any boy though, one that makes me coffee in the morning, calls if I'm working late to check up on me, and feels comfortable enough to pee with the door open. OK, so the last part, I could live without, but living with my Pop for the time being has been great. And although he complains about turkey bacon and the frequency with which I clean the toilet, I know he loves having me here.


3. Oh, right! Started a new job as a reporter/photographer with the daily newspaper here (the whole reason for my sudden pack up and move away.)
All I can say is it feels amazing. Everyone I've met, both in the newsroom and on the street has been so welcoming and warm. My new editors seem fair and smart(always a good combination), and as I slowly get to know the city all over again, I can honestly say I haven't met anyone I don't like.
To summarize - my job is to go out, meet new people, hear their stories, take their photograph, and write about it. Really, what could be better?


I will admit, I miss North Bay a lot. I miss the people and my little room. But every day I'm here, I grow more confident that I made the right decision.


For everything that's happened in the past two weeks, two months, two years, that has led me right to this spot, I feel so very lucky.

1 comment:

  1. Awww Kate I'm so proud of you!
    Miss you lots. xo

    ReplyDelete