Saturday, January 2, 2010

My life resolutions



I didn't make any New Year's resolutions this year. The year seemed to switch without me even thinking of any, and suddenly it's two days into 2010 and the moment's come and gone. Maybe that means I'm pretty freakin' happy right now.

A new year seems to be a time for reflection though, so instead of resolutions for the year (which, let's be honest, never work - I mean, the giant exercise ball is deflated under my bed, and my copy of "Self Matters" by Dr. Phil is probably on a table for 10 cents at the local discount book store. He even looked judgmental on the cover!), I thought I would revisit my list of life resolutions, my "Things To Do". I wrote this list about two years ago, and looking at it tonight, it surprises me how little has actually changed.

Here it is. My Bucket List:

* Climb the Eiffel Tower with someone I love * Skinny dip in the dark * Lie under a tree on a summer day and read a novel for a minimum of 2 hours  * Swim with a dolphin * Find out more about who I am by researching my ancestry * Go back to New York City. Take my sister with me. Climb to the top of the Statue of Liberty. Think very hard about what it means. * Make love on the kitchen floor. * Visit Ireland and have a pint in a pub. Hit on the cute Irish bartender. * Fall into "desperate, deep, head-over-heels, can't-live-without-each other" love  * Kiss someone I don't know * Take a ride in a hot air balloon * Grow a garden - DON'T LET IT DIE!  * Sleep under the stars * Go to Africa and look into the eyes of an elephant * Teach someone illiterate to read * Ask for a raise * Make love outdoors * Write the novel that's been spinning around in my head * Have an article published in a national publication * Take my Grandma Weber to a Leafs game * Learn how to portage and canoe a Northern river * Whale-watch on the West coast * Learn how not to sweat the small stuff * Drink café-au-lait in a Parisian café * Do yoga in an ashram in India * Wake up to watch the sun rise * Create my own website 


I realize that there are a lot more things on this list that are un-crossed rather than crossed off, but isn't that the way it should be? My goals are high ("look into the eyes of an elephant" - what is that all about?), but I'm very optimistic. After all, I have a very generous deadline.

No comments:

Post a Comment